Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Spinach Salad

I was reminiscing yesterday about a salad I ate in Paris. It was a selection of crisp lettuces with hard-boiled eggs, cheese and a mustard vinaigrette. I requested it without the ham, so the waiter brought it with chicken instead. He was quite sad that I asked him to remove the chicken too. He thought a salad with no meat was not a meal.

Those memories made me hungry for a good salad with walnut dressing. So I made one for lunch.

I started by putting an egg on to cook. I put it in cold salted water, brought it to a boil, turned off the heat and let it sit about 8 minutes until I was ready for it.

I used Malabar spinach from Finley Farms as the base. Cherry tomatoes added sweet juiciness. Walnuts and radishes added crunch.

I made a simple dressing of one spoon of dijon mustard, 2 spoons of red wine vinegar, a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and olive oil to make it delicious (probably 3-4 spoonfuls, but I didn't measure).

I shelled the egg and tore it Jamie Oliver-style over the greens, then poured the vinaigrette over top and tossed it all together.

It was a very full and delicious meal. Pretty healthy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment