Friday, April 18, 2014

Fava beans

My fava beans are growing quickly, and I picked some of them the other day to make a fava bean risotto.

I picked the pods when I could feel the beans had formed, but when they were still young. This meant that the beans inside the pod had not yet developed the thick layer that requires double shelling.

When I buy fava beans at the farmers market, I usually have to shell them, then blanch and shell the beans themselves. A lot of work, but worth it for the great flavor. However, growing them myself and picking them young cuts back on the work.

I picked a few which were a little larger. They are the beans on the right below which will need blanching and peeling before I add them to dinner. The thicker fibrous skin is whiter, so it's easy to tell whether that they need peeling.




No comments:

Post a Comment