Friday, April 25, 2014

Greens and Beans

The other night I harvested some collard greens from the garden and combined them with other greens and some white beans for a simple, nutritious dinner.

I used a combination of collards, spinach, and some radish leaves. Arugula would have been nice to add, or a little dandelion for some bite. Whatever greens are around can go in the pot.

I started by sautéing a slivered red onion (for color) and a chopped clove of garlic in a little olive oil. I washed and chopped the greens, adding them to the pot as I went, sprinkling with salt and pepper after each addition and stirring well, then covering the pot to keep the steam and nutrients in. I also added about a cup of white lima beans I had previously cooked. (You could use a can of white cannellini beans instead.) Any bean would do, but I like the contrast of white and green.

When everything was warmed through and the greens were soft and tender, I tasted it and added a little balsamic vinegar.

This meal combines protein, antioxidants, fiber, healthy fats, minerals - and best of all it tastes good.

No comments:

Post a Comment