Monday, January 13, 2014

Skillet Potatoes

After shopping at the Hollywood Farmers Market early Sunday morning, we headed home for a leisurely breakfast.

Larry squeezed oranges and made coffee (with beans from Cafecito Organico), and I scrambled eggs and fried up these simple potatoes for a meal that was a good accompaniment to the Sunday papers.

These are great potatoes - crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. I boiled and drained them before we went to the market, then fried them when we got home. Cooking potatoes whole takes a little longer, but it means when I cut and fry them they hold their shape better. I peeled them because they'd been in the cupboard a couple of weeks and were looking old. Usually I cook them with the peel on.

A key to getting a crispy exterior to the potatoes is making sure the oil is hot. I heat my cast iron fry pan enough that the butter sizzles when I add it. Then I turn the heat down a little, but not too much, before adding the potatoes. I don't stir them around too much. I want the pieces to get browned on the bottom before I flip them.

These are great served with eggs for breakfast, and they're also a great dinner meal served with greens. (See my recipe here.)

Skillet Potatoes
5 medium red-skinned potatoes
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
Mexican seasoning (optional)

Scrub the potatoes, put them in a medium-sized pot, cover with cold water and add a good teaspoon of salt. Cover, bring to the boil, and simmer until a knife can slide all the way through a potato. Don't overcook. Drain. (Can be refrigerated overnight at this point.)

Cut the potatoes in bite-sized pieces. Heat a heavy frypan over medium-high heat. Add the butter and olive oil, when melted add the potatoes, sprinkle with salt and pepper and Mexican seasoning if you like, then the potatoes toss with a flat spatula to coat them in oil, then let them sizzle a while until browned on the bottom. Flip and continue cooking. Cook until browned on all side, 15-20 minutes.

Serves 2

No comments:

Post a Comment