Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Baked Squash

I wrote late last year about how we were eating the organic squashes I had used as Thanksgiving decorations. A couple of weeks ago we ate the last one - a kabocha squash. I baked it in a 350° oven for 45 minutes until a knife slipped in easily. Then I cut it into wedges, scooped out the seeds, and served it with garlic butter poured over it. Wow. It was really good.

So last night I cooked another kabocha squash. I washed it with a drop of my coconut-based dishwashing liquid (Planet brand), dried it, then put it in the 350°F oven. I was able to pierce it easily with a knife after 40 minutes. I let it cool a few minutes, then cut off the top and scooped out the seeds.

I put it on a plate and filled it with a bean stew I had cooked on the stove. I scooped the stew onto plates, and used the serving spoon to carve out some of the flesh of the squash as well. It was a simple, attractive and nutritious dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment