Thursday, August 22, 2013

Jalapenos

My jalapeño pepper plant is quite abundant this year.

I love being able to go out in the garden and pick a few peppers to throw in a stir-fry or a bean dish.

When they ripen to red, they have a sweetness to go along with the heat. I guess it's similar to the difference between red peppers and green peppers. The heat of a pepper is an indicator of its antioxidant level - the hotter, the healthier.

Jalapeños ripen in summer and fall, so I always make sure to freeze a few for use in winter, spring and early summer. I pick them, rinse them, dry them, and then pack them in double freezer bags.

When I need a jalapeno for a winter bean dish, I will pull one out of the bag and let it defrost a while on the counter. Then I'll cut off the stem and dice the pepper. It will have lost some of its heat, but not all of it, especially if I leave the seeds in. The flesh will be soft, so it won't add crunch to fresh salsas, but it will be great in winter stews.

No comments:

Post a Comment