Saturday, August 17, 2013

Healthy Eggs

Eggs are a perfect food.

Protein, healthy fats, essential brain nutrients -- all in one easy-to-cook package.

If you're looking for eggs at a farmers' market, check out the organic apple farmers. Some of them keep chickens in their orchards to eat the bugs and keep the weeds down -- these are the best eggs you can find.

It's natural for chickens to eat insects and small plants. When I was visiting my brother this summer, his chickens followed as I scoured the garden for big disgusting slugs to feed them. My neighbor's free-range chickens peck in the dirt for insects and seedlings.

Unfortunately, most eggs are produced by chickens who are fed a solid diet of corn. (Unless the eggs are certified organic, the corn is most likely genetically modified.)

When cows and chickens eat corn, they develop inflammation in their tissues. Then humans eat the meat and in turn develop more inflammatory diseases. This is a reason grass-fed beef is considered healthier than corn-fed -- the meat produces less inflammation in people who eat it.

I feel the same must be true for eggs. Maybe eggs have received a bad rap because they are produced by chickens whose diet is full of corn so their eggs are deficient in the healthy fats our bodies need.

When our niece Tracie visited the Hollywood Farmers Market with us a few weeks ago, I impressed upon her the need to buy eggs from an organic apple stall. She balked at the price ($7 a dozen) but went for it. I assured her she would see and taste the difference.

However, she recently told me she noticed no difference between these organic eggs laid by chickens who eat insects and seedlings and the eggs from her grocery store.

I was stunned -- I knew she had a good palate. And then I inquired further.

It turns out she cooks her morning egg and then puts it on whole-grain toast and layers it with pesto - a whole production. No wonder she couldn't discern the delicate flavor of the egg.

It reminds me again why I like to buy whole natural food -- it is much less work to make something taste exceptional.

On weekday mornings, I boil us each an egg. We shell them, dip them in salt and pepper, and enjoy. No need for extra seasonings or cover-ups. Just wonderful egg color and flavor.

Plus I know they are the healthiest food we could eat for breakfast.

Simple hard-boiled eggs
Cover eggs with cold water. If the eggs are very fresh, add 2 tsp salt. This helps the air pocket form between the shell and the egg so they peel more easily. Bring to the boil, covered, over medium heat. When you hear them rattling, turn off the heat and let sit 10 minutes. Drain the eggs and put them in an ice water bath to cool. Peel and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment