Monday, August 26, 2013

Cookbooks

Yesterday the annual used-book sale returned to the Hollywood Farmers Market.

I never know when to expect it, but it's always fun to turn the corner and see boxes and boxes of books. Not that I need more cookbooks, but I'm sure we'll find space for more bookshelves.

I wasn't able to browse as long as usual because there were parking restrictions on Cahuenga Blvd. where we park our car. Towing was due to start at 9 a.m. so we shopped the market and ran.

These are the books I grabbed as we dashed by:

A Taste for All Seasons by Beverley Sutherland Smith (Australia 1975)
The Summertime Cookbook by Marian Burros and Lois Levine (1972)

I love reading cookbooks from the '70s - full of gelatin and fancy styling. I probably won't be trying a lot of these recipes, but I'll enjoy browsing through them. (Actually I just noticed a recipe for Persian Quinces in Smith's book. I'll have to try it when quinces arrive at the market this fall.)

Williams-Sonoma Hors d'Oeuvres and Appetizers (1992)
Williams-Sonoma Potatoes (1994)
Williams-Sonoma Healthy Side Dishes (1995)

Hmm, guess I was on a W-S roll.

Rice and Spice: 100 Vegetarian One-Dish Dinners by Robin Robertson (2000)

I already have her vegetarian book Fresh from the Slow Cooker, which is excellent, so I have high hopes for this one.

Alfred Portale's 12 Seasons Cookbook by Alfred Portale with Andrew Friedman (2000)

I really enjoy seasonal cookbooks with beautiful photos of fruits and vegetables. I'll ignore the animal parts.

This is a whole lot of entertainment for $8!

No comments:

Post a Comment