Wednesday, December 4, 2013

"Cheese" Sauce

Way back in the '80s, I learned to make this "cheese" sauce using nutritional yeast instead of cheese. It doesn't really taste like cheese, but neither do most cheese sauces. It has a rich umami flavor, and is great on rice or potatoes, and when I was vegan I used it for mac and "cheese."

I was inspired to make it recently when I found nutritional yeast flakes at Granny's, my local health food store in Pasadena. I said how happy I was to see it again, and Richard looked at me, bemused, and said they've always carried it. Isn't it amazing how you can go somewhere for years and still see things you never noticed before?

Anyway, I rushed home to introduce my hubby to the wonders of nutritional yeast.

I served this sauce over brown rice and vegetables, real winter comfort food, and we both enjoyed it.

(Most people are introduced to nutritional yeast as a popcorn topping - just sprinkle it straight out of the container onto popcorn - and then rave about it. I haven't tried that, because Larry makes such excellent popcorn - see his technique here - that I don't want to mess with it.)

Nutritional yeast is full of B vitamins (I sprinkle it on my granola instead of taking a B supplement) which help calm the nervous system. It's a great source of B12 and folic acid, high in protein, and gluten-free. What more could you want?

I can't fully endorse its cheese flavor. I think it's more nutty than cheese-y. But it is a wonderful sauce that will have you smacking your lips and going back for more.

"Cheese" Sauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup flour
3 1/2 cups boiling water
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
pinch tumeric
1/4 cup oil (yes, more oil)
1 cup nutritional yeast

Heat the 1/2 cup vegetable oil over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. (This is a vegan roux.) Whip in water, salt, tamari, garlic and tumeric. Cook until thick and bubbly, stirring occasionally. Whip in remaining 1/4 cup oil and yeast.

Cook until heated through. Taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary (probably won't be). Use as you would any cheese sauce or white sauce.

Makes about 4 cups of sauce (enough to make mac and "cheese" for 3 1/2 cups of macaroni).

No comments:

Post a Comment