Saturday, December 21, 2013

Simple Mustard Greens

I returned home from work tired the other night, so I started dinner by putting brown rice in the rice cooker. You can't go wrong with rice.

Then I found some leftover tofu stew to reheat, and put that in a pot ready to go.

Finally, I rooted through the fridge and pulled out two bunches of purple mustard greens. Refrigerator gold!

Greens, tofu and brown rice are a healthy yet satisfying meal. And mustard greens are really easy to wash, perfect for a lazy evening.

I cut off the bottom of the stems, up to where the leaf started, then washed the leaves in cold water. and left them to drain.

I sautéed an onion, some garlic and red chile flakes, then stirred in the mustard greens by the handful, seasoning with salt as I went. When they were all in the pot, I covered it and set it over a low heat to cook, stirring occasionally to scrape up pieces that were caramelizing on the bottom of the pot.

They added a little zing and lot of nutrition and color to the meal. You can see in the picture that some of the leaves retained their purple color.

The next morning I put together a lunch of leftovers. I put some brown rice in the bottom of a container, then a layer of the cooked mustard greens. On top went a scoop of sauerkraut (natural probiotic) and a drizzle of dandelion vinegar (calcium). It was a nutritious and satisfying lunch - yes I ate it cold - that got me easily through the day.

Greens are great.

Simple Mustard Greens
2 bunches (or 1 large bunch) purple mustard greens
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
sprinkle red chile flakes
salt

Cut the bottom off the greens and wash them well in cold water. Chop across in 1 inch strips and set aside. (Don't dry them.)

Warm the olive oil in a large pan. Dice the onion and sauté until it is soft. Add the minced garlic and red chile flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.

Add the mustard greens, a handful at a time, stirring them into the oil and sprinkling with salt. When all the greens are in the pot, stir well once more and put on the lid.

Let the greens cook, stirring occasionally to scrape any bits off the bottom, 10-15 minutes until they are the consistency you enjoy.

Serves 2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment