Sunday, December 15, 2013

Food for the Week

With the cooler weather, greens and root vegetables are flooding the Hollywood Farmers Market. It's hard to decide which ones to eat this week.

I love turnips and beets because they are two vegetables in one. I separated the roots from the greens when I got home, and stored them separately in plastic bags in the fridge. The greens will be sautéed with onions and garlic as a simple side dish, and the roots will be roasted or steamed or added to soup (I haven't decided which yet).

I was grumbling to Larry that this year the farmers are growing celery root and parsnips but not rutabagas when we stopped at the Flora Bella stall to buy young turnips, radishes and mustard greens. I noticed what looked like tiny yellow parsnips and inquired what they were. They were rutabagas!!!! I have never seen finger-sized rutabagas before. They were in bunches with their greens attached, and I was told the greens are delicious. I nibbled a piece, and it was true! They are sweet - sweeter than lettuce. Unbelievable. So I bought a bunch. The roots will be sliced in our Solstice Soup this Saturday, and the greens will be a yummy vegetable early in the week.

Flora Bella has planted a lot of rutabagas this year, apparently, so this is just the beginning. I am so happy!!!!

This is what we bought today: 1 red pepper, 1 red butter lettuce, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, 4 onions, carrots, 1 1/2 lb assorted mushrooms - cremini, shiitake, portabello - turnips with tops, cauliflower, radishes with tops, tiny rutabagas with tops, 15 oranges, 6 grapefruit - 4 pink, 2 ruby - spinach, 6 cameo apples, 2 bosc pears, 15 tangerines, 1 lb honey dates, 1 dozen eggs, Mike's firehouse jack from Spring Hill Dairy, beets with greens, mustard greens.
Have you ever seen such tiny rutabagas?

No comments:

Post a Comment