Saturday, August 14, 2010

Surplus tomatoes


If your tomatoes are bursting off the vine faster than you can eat them, put some aside to use over the winter in soups and stews.

You could can them in preserving jars, but who needs all that hot work in these lazy days of August?

Instead, wash and dry them and throw them in a zip-loc bag in the freezer. (Plastic is food-safe as long as you don't use it for liquids or hot foods.)

The tomatoes will change texture in the freezer, so they won't be good in salads, but in any cooked use they will be great. They will taste better than canned tomatoes with no worries about preservatives. And when you defrost them the peel will slip right off.

It's a great way to preserve your home-grown tomatoes without a lot of work.

3 comments:

  1. This I will do. I eat them every day! Maybe I will still have some when we see you Labor Day. Any ideas for fresh figs? (besides letting the birds eat them like they are now)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat our figs while I'm gardening. Occasionally I'll slip one chopped up into our morning fruit, but Larry really only likes them in Fig Newmans - it's a texture thing, he says. I made fig jam last year, which turned out like fig paste because I overcooked it. It's still in the fridge because I can't figure out what to do with it. I should probably try making Fig Carrolls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I don't like fig jam...but might try it. Wish it was a rasberry or blueberry or strawberry tree :-)

    ReplyDelete