Monday, August 2, 2010

Perfect Popcorn


Although Joy does most of the cooking, I occasionally take a spin in the kitchen. A few years ago, we realized that I have a knack for the P-Foods. I was exposed at an early age to potato chips and pretzels, and I also learned how to order pizza (see post of March 8, 2010).

But I can also cook a mean pot pie, as I am an inheritor and keeper of my Mom Mom Daniels’ famous chicken pot pie recipe. I may share that recipe with you someday, if you are lucky.

My other claim to fame is that I make the best popcorn in the world. It’s part culinary science and part spiritual practice. I can’t guarantee that this will work on an electric stove. If you have a gas stove, however, you are ready to rock and roll:

First – find a 3-quart saucepan or pot with a lid. If you have several, choose the one that gives the best popcorn vibes.

Second – buy organic popcorn and olive oil, along with sea salt.

Third – collect a few of the old fashioned, handle-less paper bags from a supermarket. (I use Vons.)

Cover the saucepan with a thin coating of olive oil and place four kernels of corn in the bottom – spread out, not bunched. The oil should cover about ¾ of the corn kernels. Turn flame to medium-high.

When the fourth kernel has popped, immediately cover the bottom of the saucepan with corn. Place the lid on. The popping will start soon. I recommend occasionally turning the pot, but it’s not always necessary. You’ll soon learn how level your range burners are.

When the popping passes the top of the Bell Curve and starts to slow, you can turn the flame down to medium low. If you’ve correctly measured the corn, it might begin to nudge the lip upward as it finishes.

Leave the lid on for the last few pops. Shake the pot a few times.

Now pour the exquisitely popped popcorn into the paper bag, add some salt, and then close the bag and shake, using your hips. Place the bag on the counter for a few minutes to absorb any extra oil.

If you’ve done this right, you won’t have any un-popped kernels, and there won’t be very much oil left in the pot.

Wipe out the pot without burning yourself, and repeat. Let this second batch cool and store it in an airtight container - you'll want another bowl later in the week.

1 comment:

  1. I can vouch for Larry's popcorn. It is the best! I am almost inclined to warn you readers not to try this at home unless you are confident in your hip-shakin' abilities.

    ReplyDelete