Thursday, December 26, 2013

Easy Appetizers

Sometimes it's the simplest things that taste the best.

For Christmas lunch, I served an appetizer of roasted red peppers wrapped around feta. They were so delicious we ate them all before I thought to take a photo.

This is another of those recipes which are too simple to be written down. The key is to use sweet plump red peppers and salty pungent feta. Don't bother with tasteless cheese and winter-y peppers.

I used some red peppers I had roasted and frozen in the fall. (See how I roasted them here.) I defrosted them overnight in the fridge, and the next morning prepared the dish. 15 minutes before serving I drizzled it with olive oil and put it in the oven. I served the appetizers warm with forks to cut them with. I was concerned the cheese would be too hot, but it wasn't. If I had used smaller pieces of pepper and cheese, they could have been finger food.

Roasted Red Pepper Appetizer
3 red peppers
6 tbsp feta
olive oil

Roast, seed and peel the red peppers. (See instructions here.)

Cut them in half and lay them on a chopping board with the inside facing up.

Cut a piece of feta about an inch in size. Put it in the center of the pepper half and fold the pepper up around the cheese like a package. Place it seam side down on a lightly oiled cookie sheet.

At this point, they can rest for a couple of hours until you need them.

Drizzle a little olive oil over top the pepper packages, then place them in a 350°F oven for 15 minutes.

Serve with forks and plates. Will serve 3 but they will want more.

No comments:

Post a Comment