Sunday, September 1, 2013

Sunday Shopping

This is a list of the organic produce we bought today at the Hollywood Farmers Market:

cilantro
chives
2 garlic
1 red onion
spring onions
2 onions
lightly salted pistachios
1 dozen orchard-raised eggs
potatoes
portobello mushroom
grass-fed hamburger
6 corn on the cob
10 lbs marzano tomatoes
heirloom cherry tomatoes
small pumpkin
2 red peppers
4 poblano peppers
chiles
1 frisé
baby spinach
1 butter lettuce
6 apples - honeycrisp, gala and another whose name was new to me so I forgot it
5 limes
15 oranges
2 cantaloupes
1 watermelon
2 mountain-grown peaches
1 quart plain St. Benoit yogurt
5 cups plain St. Benoit yogurt


The tomatoes and chiles will go into the salsa we'll make tomorrow. We make it every year from my mother's recipe and can it for the winter.

Larry will grill the mushroom, burger, and a couple of ears of corn for Labor Day dinner tonight. I'll make potato salad to go with it, using one of the poblanos. The others I'll roast and freeze - it's time to start stocking the freezer for the long period without peppers. I'll freeze any chiles that don't go in the salsa as well.

I didn't realize until I was unpacking the produce that I bought two cantaloupes. Fortunately chilled cantaloupe is a great refresher on these hot days of summer.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty picture! I look forward to hearng how the salsa making goes. Happy Labor Day.

    ReplyDelete