Monday, September 9, 2013

Crenshaw Melon

We bought an organic Crenshaw Melon from Rocky Mountain farms yesterday.

It weighs 6 lbs! And the farmer told me it was one of the smaller ones he's grown.

I heard a story years ago that these melons were discovered growing in someone's yard on Crenshaw Blvd. in LA. I can't find anything to back up the story, so it might be an urban myth. Crenshaws are a cross between casaba and Persian melons, and are known for their sweetness. People seem to get quite addicted to them.

The people next to me at the stall raved about them, and I'd never tried one before, so I bought it, and gave it to Larry to carry.

I have to say, it's really good. It's similar in flavor to a cantaloupe, but it has a richness to it that makes it more interesting.

It's big enough that we'll be eating it all week. And maybe next week we'll come home with another.

No comments:

Post a Comment