Thursday, September 12, 2013

Tofu Salad

Twenty years ago I studied holistic healthcare at NHC Institute in Montreal. You can read more about my time there in my summer newsletter, and in the training section of my website.

It was a real hands-on program - we tried everything on ourselves.

In nutrition class, we learned about systemic candida, a condition which causes fatigue, digestive upset, lightheadedness, etc. The dietary cure is simple: only eat MEVY (meat, eggs, vegetables and yogurt).

So we all started on the diet. As a vegetarian, I had to tweak it a little. I used beans, tofu and brown rice in place of the meat.

For a few weeks, I ate a lot of mashed tofu on rice cakes.

But time went by, and I forgot this simple dish. Until I came home from work on Saturday and found tofu in the fridge and organic brown rice cakes in the cupboard. I knew just what to do.

(I was entertained to read on the package of rice cakes that they were made in Montreal.)

I sliced a couple of pieces of tofu, mashed them with a fork on a cutting board, and added some tumeric for color, tamari for flavor, and mayonnaise to hold it all together. (Back in the day I used nayonnaise.) I added some diced spring onion for a little crunch. (I could have added celery and other vegetables too.)

Then I piled it on the rice cakes, and enjoyed a fast protein-rich lunch.

Larry had already eaten lunch - tuna on rice cakes - so he did not share my tofu. But I think he would have liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment