Saturday, October 26, 2013

Chipotle Bean Salad

I've been eating bean salad for lunch ever since I read Eat for Life by Joel Fuhrman, MD. This is an excellent book on controlling inflammation and inflammatory diseases with diet.

While I was not having any special inflammation problems, I took his lunch recommendation to heart: bean salad, green salad and an apple. (I rebel by dressing my beans with oil - he is vehemently anti-oil and low fat.)

Regular consumption of beans has been linked to decreased risk of diabetes, heart disease, and some cancers. They are high in fiber, protein, B vitamins, antioxidants, iron, magnesium and potassium. Beans are nutritional powerhouses that are also inexpensive.

I realize that although I eat bean salad almost daily, I haven't posted many recipes for it. With luck this will change as my photography skills improve - it's hard to make a bean salad look attractive on screen. But boy do they taste good.

This one is spicy because of the chipotles in adobo. Add less if you like, but remember that beans can take a lot of seasoning. Giving this salad time to marinate in the fridge lets the seasoning enter the beans.

I used a round sturdy mottled bean I bought at the farmers market this summer. I think it's called Tongue of Fire. Pintos, kidney beans or pinquitos would be good also. Canned is okay, but rinse them well.

The salad will last up to a week in the fridge.

Chipotle Bean Salad
1 lb dry beans
3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
2 tbsp dijon
3 tbsp chipotles in adobo, chopped
2 scallions, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano (or 2 tsp dried)

Cook the beans in plenty of boiling water until tender, 1-3 hours depending on the age of your beans. Drain and let cool a little. (Or use 4 15-oz cans of beans. Drain and rinse well.)

Whisk together the olive oil, white wine vinegar, mustard and chipotles. Pour over the beans. Stir to combine. Stir in the scallions and oregano, and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Put in a covered container and refrigerate a few hours, stirring occasionally.

Serve on a bed of lettuce.

Serves 8

No comments:

Post a Comment