Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Red Sauce for Valentine's Day


Last year I served Larry tofu on Valentine's Day. You can read about it here.

This year I thought to ask Larry what he'd like to eat on Valentine's Day. He requested spaghetti with tomato sauce. That sounded fun, and heart-healthy.

Then on Friday night, Larry's brother told me about their mother's homemade tomato sauce. He remembers it bubbling on the stove for more than an hour as it cooked. Unfortunately she did not pass on the recipe.

Most tomato sauces include sugar (check the ingredients in the jar of sauce in your cupboard). Since I prefer my sugar in dessert, I used balsamic vinegar instead to tame the tomatoes. I used Muir Glen organic tomatoes - they have great flavor, and their tins are now bpa-free - and I bought fresh basil at the hydroponic stall at the Hollywood Farmers Market.

The sauce was red and thick and tangy. It was great for mopping up with pungent garlic bread. And I served it with lacinato kale which I had sautéed in garlic and enough chiles to give it a kick. We ended the meal with lemon creme brulée - tart and creamy with a crunch from the sugar topping. It was not a meal for the faint of heart.

Tomato Sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
14-oz can tomato sauce
14-oz can diced tomatoes
6-oz can tomato paste
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chile flakes
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar

Gently sauté the garlic and onion in the olive oil until soft but not brown.

Stir in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste. Bring to a simmer.

Stir in the salt, chile flakes, basil and balsamic vinegar. Cook, covered, over low heat, stirring every 10 minutes or so. It will take about an hour for the flavors to meld. Warning - this sauce splatters everywhere. Keep the lid on, and be careful when you stir.

Makes enough for four good servings of spaghetti.

No comments:

Post a Comment