Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Fabulous Grains


I regularly freeze leftover cooked grains. They are simple to defrost and use in casseroles or other mixed dishes.

The other day I made an excellent dish with defrosted wheat berries and red quinoa, leftover tomato sauce, and a sprinkling of grated cheddar.

I told Larry what it was while it was cooking, so he wouldn't be hoping for lasagna - the aromas are similar. We both enjoyed it, and found the flavors even better the next day as reheated leftovers.

I spread about 3 cups of the leftover grain in the bottom of a casserole dish, so it was about 2 inches deep. I could have used leftover brown rice or millet, or any grain I had on hand. Then I spread my zesty tomato sauce over top, about 1/4 inch or so, and then a sprinkling of grated cheddar. I put the lid on the casserole, and baked it at 350°F for about 40 minutes until it was heated through and the flavors were melded.

In the meantime, I cooked up a batch of kohlrabi greens. I sautéed half an onion and a clove of garlic in a little olive oil. I washed the greens and chopped them coarsely, stems and all. I tossed them in the pot, stirred in a sprinkle of salt and pepper and red chile flakes, and put the lid on. I stirred every five minutes or so, making sure they didn't stick on the bottom. The greens cooked down to a delicious spicy pottage.

The greens and grains combined to make a healthy and delicious dinner, perfect for a cool winter evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment