Saturday, February 18, 2012

Stocking the Freezer


I reached into the freezer for vegetable stock the other day, and realized my stash was low. In fact, I was holding the last container in my hand.

That was not a good state of affairs. A good vegetable stock is crucial to delicious vegetarian soups and stews. (Larry finds it essential to his beef stew, too.)

So I spent three days this week re-stocking the freezer.

Three days in a row, I made stock in my slow cooker. 18 cups in all have been packed in one- and two-cup containers, labeled and frozen.

I've posted my favorite stock recipe before. You can read it here.

Although the parsnip is optional, I highly recommend it if you can find it. The stock won't taste like parsnip, but it will have an extra depth of flavor.

Now my freezer is packed with stock, and I feel like a contented squirrel knowing he has a stash of nuts to get him through the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment