Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Tasty Tofu


Yes, it's true. I served tofu to Larry on Valentine's Day.

Tofu is a heart-friendly food -- it lowers bad (LDL) cholesterol and triglycerides, reduces the tendency of platelets to form clots, and possibly raises good (HDL) cholesterol. People with heart disease should eat it regularly.

But that's not why I served it.

I wanted to try a recipe for ginger asparagus risotto and I felt it needed something on the side besides vegetables. Tofu with a soy-ginger marinade fit the bill - adding protein and an extra burst of flavor and texture. Larry was surprised when I said I was serving tofu with risotto, but he was up for the challenge, and even had second helpings. (It really was good.)

When I buy tofu or any other soy product, I make sure it is organic, otherwise it's probably genetically modified. (Trader Joe's carries organic tofu.) It's amazing what soy protein isolate (not food) finds its way into, so read labels. Tofu is food, like orange juice is food. It has some of the goodness, but not the benefits of the pulp. Soy protein isolate is too far away from the whole food for my liking.

While Larry stirred the risotto, I cooked the tofu in a grill pan, basting it with soy, garlic and ginger. This is a fast recipe, because no marinating is required. The soy sauce sinks into the tofu a little bit, and the ginger and garlic toast on the outside of it. The tofu stays soft, and develops a tang.

I reheated the leftovers the next day for lunch - as a sandwich between toasted pieces of sourdough bread. I haven't tried fried tofu sandwiches on Larry yet - maybe next Valentines' Day.

Ginger-Soy Basted Tofu
1 lb firm organic tofu
1/4 cup organic tamari
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger root
1-2 tsp oil

Cut the tofu crosswise into 1/2" slices.

Combine the tamari, garlic and ginger root.

Warm a fry pan or grill pan over medium heat. Add the oil. When hot, add the tofu and cook, basting with marinade, 5 minutes on each side.

Eat warm.

Serves 3-4

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe!!! Love it

    btw, bird nest (www.geocities.jp/hongkong_bird_nest/index_e.htm) is made up of about 58% soluable proteins...the highest amoung all food and even synetic protein powders

    it greatly increase tissue regeneration

    ReplyDelete