Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Eat More Vegetables


When the updated U.S. Dietary Guidelines were released recently, I rejoiced in one line: Make your plate half full of fruits and vegetables.

I think that's great advice. I've been suggesting it, and trying to follow it, for years. (Although I think fruit is less important than vegetables.)

The single-most health-promoting thing we can do is eat vegetables. They are full of nutrients and fiber, relatively low in calories, and even with added salt and butter are far healthier than any processed food from a supermarket or take-out joint.

You would think that as a vegetarian it is easy for me to follow this guideline, but it's remarkably challenging. Grains and beans are so satisfying that it's easy to eat more of them and less of the vegetables.

I was thinking of this last night as I ate a bowl of lentil soup. It was full of turnips and carrots, but was it half vegetable? I don't think so. But boy it was good. Since my lunchtime plate was almost all vegetables, and I had a big bowl of fruit at breakfast, I decided the day balanced out.

I really like the fresh taste of turnips - a little sweet, a little crisp, a little cabbagey. They have half the calories of an equal amount of potatoes, but are just as satisfying. They are a good source of Vitamin C, many B vitamins, and minerals such as potassium and magnesium.

This recipe works with old or young turnips. The combination of butter and olive oil gives a rich silkiness, but use just olive oil if you prefer. I pulled a batch of vegetable stock from the freezer. Soon it will be time to make some more, because a good vegetable stock is the secret to delicious soups.

Turnip, Carrot and Lentil Soup
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup carrot in 1/3" dice (2 medium)
1 1/2 cups turnips in 1/3" dice (2-3 medium)
3/4 cup green lentils
3-5 cups vegetable stock

Sauté onion in butter and olive oil over medium heat until lightly browned. Add carrots and turnips, and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.

Wash and drain lentils. Add to pot along with vegetable stock and stir well. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, until lentils are cooked, about 25 minutes. Add more water or stock as needed to keep a soupy consistency.

Serves 2-3 as a main course

No comments:

Post a Comment