Monday, February 7, 2011

Mustard Greens


When I was in Montreal in December, I ventured into my mother's snowy garden to pick the last mustard greens of the year. I sautéed them with garlic and red chiles and served them as a spicy side to a dish of potatoes.

Here in my LA garden, the mustard greens are not quite big enough to harvest, so I've been buying them from South Central Farmers Cooperative at the Hollywood Farmers Market. There are so many greens available in the winter months, it's hard to choose, but mustard greens might be my favorite.

Last week, I stirred up another batch and served them with wheat berries and quinoa - they added robust flavor to a healthy meal.

Mustard Greens
2 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp dried red chile flakes
1 bunch mustard greens

Heat a scant 2 tbsp olive oil, garlic and chile flakes in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Wash the mustard greens and chop them coarsely. Add to the skillet along with the water still clinging to the leaves. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Then lower the heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted and softened, about 5 minutes more.

Serves 2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment