Sunday, August 23, 2015

Sunday Shopping

It was cool and slightly muggy this morning at the Hollywood Farmers Market.

We were happy to see the stand of Bautista Family Organic Date Ranch. They were back with the fresh harvest, including some branches of unripe dates - which were delicious and less sweet than the fully ripe ones. The new almond crop from Yemetz Almond farm was in too, so we stocked up.

I also bought a basil plant because my basil is very small. I complained to the farmer about my slow-growing summer vegetables. I thought it was lack of water, but he said I should be feeding them every couple of weeks. I feel bad I'm starving my vegetables, and plan to rectify that this week.

In the meantime, I once again am exceedingly grateful that there are many professional organic farmers to grow my dinner for me.

Here's what we came home with today:
16 small oranges for juice, 1 small melon whose name I forget, 1 small cantaloupe, 1 red butter lettuce, 1 orange pepper, 1 yellow pepper, 1 large cantaloupe (I plan to try grilling slices of it for dessert tonight), 1 lb raw almonds, scallions, 2 dozen eggs, 1 zucchini, 4 small plain yogurt, 1 lb khadrawy dates, 4 ears corn that the farmer tells us is so young and sweet we can eat the whole thing raw - even the cob - we're dubious, 4 tsugaru apples, 2 gala apples, 4 small red potatoes, 4 mountain-grown peaches, 2 maui onions, 2 small eggplants, 2 avocados, 3 grapefruit, 1 bag mixed salad greens, celery, padron peppers to throw on the grill tonight as a simple appetizer.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, the oranges are back!
    Inquiring minds want to know if you were able to eat the corn as the farmer suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Er, well, not really. It was a little crunchy at the tip, but the ears were weirdly not kerneled, and I boiled them 4 minutes and they were not delicious. Our compost pile benefitted.

    ReplyDelete