Monday, June 9, 2014

Sunday Brunch

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that the newsstand on Cahuenga where for a decade we have been buying our Sunday NY Times after shopping at the Hollywood Farmers Market was closing. Now we have to buy the paper at Starbucks, standing in line while people order their double-shot half-caf, mocha soy whatevers.

Yesterday, however, we had a hard time finding the Sunday NY Times. We stopped at the Gower Gulch Starbucks on our way to the market. Larry stood patiently in line only to find the papers had not yet been delivered. After the market, I ran into the Starbucks on Hollywood Blvd. The place was full of zombies, but I was able to get the attention of a barrista who told me the papers had all sold out. Back to Gower Gulch where they still had no papers. Frustrated, we left Hollywood and headed to the Starbucks in South Pasadena, where they had the paper we wanted. While Larry picked it up, I ran in to Orchard for a couple of hanging baskets. When I opened the trunk to put them in, I was surprised to see our bags of groceries in the car. I had completely forgotten we hadn't yet had breakfast! It felt like the day was half gone.

Fortunately, we arrived home with our groceries, our papers (the LA Times had been delivered), and enough energy to make brunch.

Larry squeezed Jorge's tangelos for juice while I cooked Jared's red potatoes (see my skillet potato recipe here). I picked some blueberries from our garden to go with the Finley Farm strawberries. And I made omelets with the eggs from Ha's Apple Farm (chickens raised in an orchard produce delicious eggs), bloomsbury spinach (Finley), red onion (Jared) and cremini mushrooms (I don't think I've ever seen the name on the mushroom stand I frequent).

After what felt like an endless morning of shopping, it was nice to slow down and eat fresh, locally-produced food while reading the Sunday papers.


No comments:

Post a Comment