Sunday, March 16, 2014

Sunday Shopping

It was hard to choose from all the beautiful produce at the Hollywood Farmers Market this morning. The warm weather after the rain has everything flourishing.

This is what we bought:
1 pound of El Carmen coffee (grown in Acatenango, Guatemala) from Cafecito Organico
black and green olives and feta
a bag of flame raisins from Burkhardt farms. These are the most flavorful raisins I've ever tasted, and are worth the trouble of pulling off the stems as I add them to our granola.
2 dozen eggs
1 butternut squash for roasted vegetables
1 large purple sweet potato - we've been enjoying the white-colored ones as baked potatoes, this week we'll try the purple one
2 onions
2 bunches of spring onions
4 cremini mushrooms to fill our Sunday brunch omelets along with a few leaves of spinach
lacinato kale
deglet noor dates for our homemade granola
9 satsuma tangerines - so sweet and juicy that Larry loves them in his lunch every day
1 large and 4 small plain St. Benoit yogurts
1 bunch asparagus
5 grapefruit and 2 pomelos ($1 each, I can't resist)
4 pink lady apples
broccoli
At Finley farms I picked up a bag of bloomsbury spinach and a container of strawberries. They're not the gorgeous sweet berries of June, but they'll add color to our morning fruit, and I'll use a couple to decorate our brunch plates. While I was paying I noticed a box of small artichokes - small enough we can eat the whole thing - so I grabbed four - I want to try grilling them.
15 oranges for our Sunday morning juice
2 avocadoes
2 bartlett pears
10 small red potatoes
I stopped at the Flora Bella stand and filled my bag with a bunch of tender young rutabagas with greens, a bunch of baby turnips with greens, and 2 bunches of large red radishes that I really wanted for the greens. I'll make radish green soup this week. Another customer asked for the greens to be removed from his radishes, so I offered to take them. Never turn down free greens. I also bought a bunch of wild arugula to stir into rice or millet for a quick side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment