Sunday, March 2, 2014

Sunday Shopping

This morning I once again went to the Hollywood Farmers Market without a list.

Instead of sorting the fridge and planning menus, I went outside to check on my buckets. The rain was so welcome this week - I filled three rain barrels from our downspout, and I also put buckets out on the patio. This morning there was 4 inches of water in each bucket (accumulated since Thursday), and I did not want this precious resource to evaporate in the sunshine while I was at the market. So I transferred all the water to two more rain barrels (large plastic trash cans with lids). Most satisfying, if a little strenuous at 7 a.m.

Then it was off to the market. Here's a list of the organic produce we'll be eating this week:
1 bunch asparagus
8 small red potatoes
2 white sweet potatoes
6 cremini mushrooms
6 shallots
1 red onion
4 yellow onions
1 small spaghetti squash
3 bunches of carrots
1 dozen eggs
1 bunch of beets with greens
1 bunch spinach
1 bunch spring onions
6 satsuma tangerines
5 pink lady apples
2 bartlett pears
2 lb raw orange honey from Martinez apiaries
1 large and 4 small plain yogurt from St. Benoit

And Russ sharpened a kitchen knife for us.

Early-morning bucket emptying


No comments:

Post a Comment