Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Simple Supper

I wanted a simple dinner last night, so I scrubbed two white sweet potatoes and threw them in the toaster oven at 400°F, and then rooted through the fridge for other simple-to-fix ingredients.

I found a bunch of beet greens and a pack of firm tofu.

I sautéd an onion and some garlic, threw in some chili flakes and stirred in the washed beet greens. I covered the pot and let the greens stew down, stirring occasionally.

I sliced the tofu and fried it in a little oil in my cast iron fry pan. I poured a few drops of soy sauce on each piece as it cooked, to add a little extra flavor.

The sweet potatoes were a revelation. They were not as dense and sweet as the orange kind of sweet potato. They had a mild soft flavor, and a texture similar to a potato. Even Larry enjoyed them. I sliced them in half and we added butter and salt and pepper. With the greens and crisped tofu, it was a simple yet yummy dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment