Saturday, February 15, 2014

Bean and Rice Salad

I really love leftover rice. I freeze it to use later in rice and greens casserole (I wrote about a version with dandelions here). I toss it with vegetables to make fried rice.

However, this week I had an annoying amount left over, about 1 cup, not enough to serve the two of us. So I added it to my lunchtime salad.

I cooked 1/3 cup of appaloosa beans and tossed them with the rice. I added 2 tangelos and some cilantro. I tossed the salad with lime juice and olive oil.

Beans and rice together create a complete protein, and the citrus is extra good during cold and flu season. The cilantro helps the body release heavy metals.

But I really enjoyed it because it tasted good. If you have leftover rice, I encourage you to toss it with beans, citrus and cilantro to make a fun and colorful salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment