Saturday, November 30, 2013

Thanksgiving Parties

I grew up celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving in Montreal, a low-key tradition involving cleaning out the garage and eating turkey.

So the American Thanksgiving extravaganza is intriguing to me. Every year I pester Larry with questions about what his childhood Thanksgivings were like, what they ate, what traditional foods we should cook this year. He's really tired of it.

So this year I questioned Tracie instead. I think she enjoyed the experience as much as Larry does.

Fortunately, some people are happy to share their Thanksgiving experiences with me.

Our friend Ramsay on the East Coast roasted sweet potatoes to take to a Thanksgiving potluck. She transported them in a pyrex bowl with fresh rosemary sprigs tucked in. As they were reheated in the oven, the rosemary gently perfumed the dish.

(She made me envious by saying that the host made mashed rutabagas. There have been no rutabagas at the Hollywood Farmers Market this year.)

I hope your Thanksgiving was also full of good food and good traditions. I'd be happy to hear about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment