Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Roast Squash

There are so many adorable little squashes and pumpkins at the market these days that I always end up with a couple to serve as vegetable sides during the week.

Winter squash are not just great to look at. They are high in antioxidants, and contain polysaccharides that have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.

My latest addiction is spiced squash, but that requires cutting the raw squash and sometimes that is just too much work.

It's easier to throw a whole little pumpkin or squash in the toaster oven at 375°F. When it's soft, 30-45 minutes depending on the size, I cut it in half, let it cool a little, then scoop out the seeds.

I either cut it in wedges to serve, or I use a half as a cute little bowl for whatever bean or grain dish I've cooked.

It's a simple use of a healthy vegetable.

No comments:

Post a Comment