Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dining in Rehoboth


East Coast Trip Part 10

Our final leg of the trip was a couple of nights at Rehoboth Beach on the Delaware Shore.

Larry grew up vacationing a little further south at Fenwick Island. I like Rehoboth because it has sand dunes and a long beach, a walkable boardwalk, and great food.

There was a little Italian store, Touch of Italy Bake Shop, where if we had been self-catering I would have gone wild on Italian pastas, dried mushrooms and canned tomatoes. As it was, I restrained myself to a little cheese and a few cookies.

We walked to the Dogfish Head brewpub (motto: Off-Centered Ales for Off-Centered People). We had enjoyed reading about the passion of owner Sam Calagione in the New Yorker in 2008. I forget what we drank there, but it was really good. They also distil spirits, and we toured the distillery. We later saw them featured on the Discovery Channel making Chicha, an Incan beer that requires the grain to be chewed before brewing. Prepare to be disgusted if you watch the short clip on the Brew Masters website.

We happened to be in Rehoboth when the farmers market was open, and I enjoyed looking at the local produce, even though I had no need to buy any.

Finally, we celebrated our anniversary at my favorite Rehoboth restaurant, Planet X Café. I had an excellent mushroom risotto (the secret was the truffle oil drizzled on at the last minute) and a glass of organic wine while we enjoyed the over-the-top conversations of the people around us. (On a previous trip I had swooned over the stacked eggplant dish - I might try to recreate it next summer.)

After a last sunrise over the Atlantic, we headed for Washington Dulles and our flight home to LA. It had been a good trip.

1 comment:

  1. What Ms. 'Organic Kitchen' did not tell you is that we shared a 10 a.m. order of Boardwalk Fries before we headed back to Dulles Airport.

    ReplyDelete