Sunday, January 9, 2011

Chesapeake City, MD


East Coast Trip Part 9

Upon leaving Ben and Tanya's, we stopped at Spring Run Natural Foods, an independent health food store in Kennett Square, PA, that reminded me of the ones I frequented in Montreal in the '80s - homey, decorated in wood and dark green paint, earnestly healthy, with lots of real food. There we found Hillacres Pride Lancaster County Family Tradition Garden Dill 100% raw jersey milk cheese. It made great sandwiches through the rest of our trip.

Our next stop was Chesapeake City, MD, on the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal. We've stayed there before because it's close to many of Larry's aunts and uncles. We stay at the Shipwatch Inn because we love the verandah overlooking the canal, but the breakfasts are execrable. Better to starve.

We ate dinner at The Bayard House, an establishment dating to the 1780s. We sat outside watching the water traffic. Once we saw a huge ocean liner that towered above us. We enjoyed watching the river pilots help steer it under the bridge. There's a lot of traffic on this working canal between the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays.

Larry enjoyed fresh seafood, and the chef made me a fine plate of vegetarian pasta. When I'm eating in a higher-end establishment with no vegetarian options, I always ask if the chef can create a meal for me. I am rarely disappointed.

We ended the evening with a stroll along the streets of this quaint Victorian town, enjoying a slight drizzle while Larry took pictures.

The next morning I had tea on the verandah watching the mist burn off the canal.

Then on to the final stop on the tour - Rehoboth Beach.

1 comment:

  1. When Joy says I enjoyed 'fresh seafood', that really translates, for me, into one thing in this part of the world: crab cakes. The view across the C&D Canal looked over an old restaurant where my parents used to get 25 cent crab cakes in the 1940s.

    ReplyDelete