Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Beet Burgers

I'm really enjoying the book Grains as Mains by Jodi Moreno and Sarah W. Caron. It combines ancient grains like quinoa and buckwheat in simple yet delicious ways. As a big fan of diversity in eating, I am always happy to find new ways to cook the grains in my pantry.

When I read their recipe for a beet and buckwheat burger, I was sure it wouldn't work. So of course I had to try it. And halfway through I thought I was right - the burgers were falling apart.

But as they cooked in the pan, they held their shape - because of the egg protein gluing them together - and they turned out crunchy and yummy, and not dry like so many veggie burgers are. Larry said this was the best use of beets ever.

I used the toasted buckwheat also called kasha. It's a deep brown color and looks like tiny pyramids. It's not related to wheat - it's actually a seed, not a grain - and is gluten-free. It also has a deep rich toasty flavor that goes well with mushrooms - I usually cook it as the grain in a mushroom pilaf - and now I know it tastes great with beets too.

I used pumpkin seeds because I love their bright green color against the red beets. The authors called for sunflower seeds. Chopped nuts would work well too, I think.

I put the buckwheat in to soak before I went to work, and cooked the burgers for dinner. Make sure to add the 8-12 hours of soaking time to your schedule when you plan to make these.

Beet Burgers
1/3 cup buckwheat
1 medium beet (4 oz)
1 shallot (about 1 1/2 oz)
2 eggs
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
2-3 tbsp vegetable oil

Place buckwheat in a bowl, add water to cover it by an inch, and let it sit 8-12 hours. It doesn't expand very much, but it does soften enough that it doesn't need cooking.

Scrub and coarsely chop the beet and the carrot. Put them in the food processor with the peeled and chopped shallot. Pulse a few times to chop finely.

Drain the buckwheat and add to the processor along with the eggs, rolled oats, salt and pumpkin seeds. Pulse a few more times until the mixture is finely chopped. It will not be holding together or looking anything like a successful burger dough.

Scoop the mixture into a bowl, cover and refrigerate about 30 minutes.

Divide it into 4 portions and pat them into 1/2 inch high patties, about 4 inches in diameter. The mixture will only loosely hold its shape. Don't be discouraged.

Warm the oil in a cast iron fry pan. It should cover the bottom.

Cook 2 burgers at a time, 4-5 minutes on each side, until crisp and browned. A little blackened is okay. The burgers will hold together when they're crispy and will flip easily.

I served them with oven-baked fries and a zesty cabbage salad.

Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment