Monday, August 25, 2014

Cookbook Bonanza

Yesterday was the annual used-cookbook sale at the Hollywood Farmers Market, benefiting the Los Angeles Public Library. I'm always thrilled to see it setting up in the center of the market. Larry starts counting up our cloth shopping bags to make sure we have enough for our groceries and the armload of books I am sure to find.

The last couple of years I found the titles were becoming a little boring, but this year there was a plethora of quirky books to choose from, and with prices from 25 cents to four dollars, it was hard to go wrong. Here's what I spent $10 on.

The Fresh Vegetable by Paul Mayer, published by nitty gritty productions in 1975, promises to have the best method ever for cooking fresh vegetables. How could I resist?

The Higher Taste: A Guide to Gourmet Vegetarian Cooking and a Karma-Free Diet includes over 60 Famous Hare Krishna Recipes. Originally published in 1983, this paperback surprised me by being re-published in 2001.

Cucina Fresca: Italian food, simply prepared and served cold or at room temperature by Viana La Place and Evan Kleiman (1985) is enticing because I know the September heat will wilt our appetites along with my desire to cook, so simply-prepared room-temperature food will fit the bill.

Leone's Italian Cookbook by Gene Leone (1967). Leone's Italian restaurant in New York City was quite the popular place in the '50s and '60s it seems, with great food based on his mother's recipes. At least, that's what Dwight D. Eisenhower says in his introduction to this book. I'm not sure I'll cook much from it but I'm enjoying the black and white photos.

Picnics: over 40 recipes for dining in the great outdoors, edited by Heidi Haughy Cusick (1994) - we picnic nightly on our patio in the summer, and more inspiration is always appreciated.

Ladle, Leaf, & Loaf: soup, salad and bread for every season by Lisa Cowden (2000). I love the idea of a meal of soup, salad and bread. Usually when we have soup, that is the meal - no fancy salads or breads - but I can continue to daydream.

Pilaf, Risotto, and Other Ways with Rice by Sada Fretz (1995).

Great Grains by Linda Drachman and Peter Wynne (1990)

Daniel Orr Real Food by Daniel Orr (1997). There's a hand-written note in the front of this book from someone who gave it as a Christmas present: "I found his cuisine fascinating - subtle. He's on to a new thing…I think for 2001 this book is the most exciting conceptual new approach to food."

The Best of Sunset: Recipes from the Magazine of Western Living (1987). I think of myself retiring to the frozen north and spending winters browsing California cookbooks and remembering when lemons came from the backyard tree and avocados were inexpensive staples at the farmers market.

Sunset Host & Hostess Book (1940). This goes in the category of entertaining reading.

The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook by Ina Garten with a foreword by Martha Stewart (1999). The photographs in this book are lovely - hopefully they will inspire Larry and me to elevate our game.

No comments:

Post a Comment