Thursday, July 18, 2013

Dinner in Paris

Larry and I recently returned from a trip to Paris and London. While I don't have pictures of all the meals I ate, I do have some good stories which I'll share with you over the next couple of weeks.

We got into Paris later than expected because of the air traffic controllers strike. After checking into our hotel near Bvd. St. Michel, we headed out for a late dinner. Late for me - it was 10 p.m. But many people were eating at the brasseries and cafés in the neighborhood.

It is not easy to be a vegetarian in Paris. This first night I ordered a dinner salad - a large salad of many vegetables, hard boiled eggs and a mustardy vinaigrette. I asked that it come without the ham.

The waiter proudly presented me the salad with pieces of chicken on top instead of the ham. I told him actually I wanted it with no meat. "Au naturel (naked)?" he questioned. Yes, I assured him. He brought the salad back with no meat. "Tant pis pour vous, (too bad for you)" he said as he rushed off.

No comments:

Post a Comment