Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Souvenirs

We visited a few cooking stores in Paris. While I was tempted with large copper pans and a few heavy cookbooks, I came away with the perfect portable prize - a wooden spoon. After all, I can never have too many wooden spoons, and this is a lovely one that fits well in the hand.

In a London souvenir shop (of all places) I came across another treasure - a roll of greaseproof paper.

Back in the '70s, when my grandmother would travel from England to visit us in Montreal, she would bring treasured rolls of greaseproof paper. Mum used it to line the tins she made fudge in so the confection would tip out easily. Wax paper, which was the closest to greaseproof she could find in Montreal, was not the same. The wax would melt when exposed to heat, leaving a messy residue on the food.

I think parchment paper is probably the same as greaseproof, but I've never tried it. I reach for an ancient roll of greaseproof on the rare occasion I need to line a cake tin.

And now, I have a back-up roll in the pantry.

All together a successful trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment