Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Dinner


Our Thanksgiving is a little complicated this year.

Our niece Tracie will be serving dinners at an Orange County mission, so we've invited her to have Thanksgiving with us on Friday.

Being a Canadian, I thought that left my Thursday free. I planned to dig in the garden while listening to NPR. Lynne Rosetto-Kasper's Turkey Confidential is my favorite cooking show of the year.

But I was wrong.

The Thursday Thanksgiving dinner tradition is too strong to ignore, so Larry and I will have a special dinner that day too.

Three people, two Thanksgiving dinners -- it seems a little extreme to me, but isn't that what this holiday is all about?

Here are the menus I have planned:

Thursday:
Pork something in the slow cooker (Larry's cooking and eating this)
Acorn squash with White Beans and Herbs
Brussels sprouts
Mashed potatoes
Creamed corn

Friday:
Tracie always arrives hungry, so I'll set out appetizers of salted almonds, St. André cheese, strawberries and sparkling wine
Honey-baked ham
Orange-bourbon baked beans
Scalloped potatoes
Pressure-cooked root vegetables
Mustard greens
Applesauce
Rolls
Apple-pear-cranberry pie with whipped cream and butterscotch sauce for dessert (not that we'll have room, but it will be good for breakfast on Saturday)

I hope you have a delicious and happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment