Thursday, December 24, 2015

Solstice Celebrations

I really enjoyed our Solstice celebrations this year.

It's rained recently, so everything was feeling refreshed, but the weather over the longest night of the year was dry and cool.

On Solstice Eve, we lit a fire outside at twilight and ate homemade gingersnap cookies (representing the dark of the longest night) and drinking spiced coffee I heated in the fireplace. Then we went inside for a supper of hot soup - it was cold outside!

The next evening, we celebrated the turn from the longest night to lengthening days with a meal of black bean chili (for darkness) and sweet potato biscuits (representing the returning sun). Symbolic and delicious.

There are many ways to make sweet potato biscuits. I also make a kind with buttermilk and more sweet potato - they're a little denser. You can find the recipe here.

This year, I made these fluffy biscuits. Although I cooked a whole sweet potato, I didn't need it all so I diced the extra into a root vegetable soup.

I added some apple juice to add a little sweetness and moisture. Organic apple juice comes in large bottles, and since I don't actually drink apple juice, I never finish the whole bottle at once. Instead, I freeze the extra in small portions, ready to use in a recipe like this one.

These biscuits are great with chilis and soups. They also freeze well.

Sweet Potato Biscuits
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp butter
1/3 cup apple juice
1 cup cooked sweet potato, mashed well

Preheat the oven to 425°F.

Whisk together the whole wheat flour, white flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until the largest pieces are the size of small peas. Stir in the apple juice and mashed sweet potato to make a soft dough.

Turn the dough onto a floured board and knead in just enough extra flour that it's not sticky. Divide it into 16 parts. Shape into a ball and arrange on a greased cookie sheet. Pat them down a little to flatten them. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Serve hot with butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment