Thursday, September 10, 2015

Sugar-Sweet Peaches

I think peaches are my favorite summer fruit. I remember in the '70s my mother buying Ontario peaches in cardboard trugs - 2 layers of luscious fruit that needed to be picked over daily to make sure none were starting to decay. The picking over included eating, of course, and there was nothing better than a sweet juicy peach with that light downy fuzz as a pick-me-up on a hot humid afternoon.

The peaches here in Southern California are twice the size of the ones I remember from my childhood (isn't everything bigger in America?) but still well-flavored and in need of daily monitoring.

This week, I noticed the peaches I was buying had freckles on them. I've been told that these brown dots are areas of concentrated sugar - sugar spots - that occur when the peach is really ripe when picked. (Most peaches are harvested underripe to give the farmer more time to get them to market. They continue to ripen after being picked.)

I snapped up a few of these freckled peaches, and they have indeed been extra delicious in our morning fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment