Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Barbecued Pineapple

Our local independent grocery store had organic pineapples from Hawaii just before Memorial Day. I snagged one to grill for dessert.

I also picked up some organic vanilla ice cream (Three Twins from Petaluma) to go with it.

I'd never barbecued pineapple before, but it turned out great. The grilling made it warm and extra sweet, like a decadent dessert.

Leftovers made it into the next morning's breakfast fruit. They were sweeter than the ungrilled pieces - cooking is an interesting thing.

Here's what I did:

I cut the top and bottom off the pineapple, then cut down the sides to remove the peel and the outer layer of flesh which has the prickles embedded in it. I quartered the pineapple lengthwise and cut out the tough center core. Then I cut the quarters lengthwise into 1/2 inch wedges.

Dessert in the dark
After Larry had cooked the main course and cleaned the grill, I laid the pineapple over some ashy coals. I flipped them after 3-4 minutes, when there were nice grill marks.

And that was it - warm, sweet pineapple served with cold creamy ice cream. A delicious way to end a holiday feast.


No comments:

Post a Comment