Thursday, November 27, 2014

Giving Thanks

Every day as I pull vegetables out of the fridge I think of the farmers who grew them for me.

As I'm prepping our morning fruit I think of Jorge who grows the grapefruit and pomegranates, Rocky Canyon Farms who grows outstanding melons, Finley Farms for the strawberries.

At lunch I eat salads with great lettuce from Finley Farms, and finish with an apple from Ha's Apple Farm. (See the apple slide show to the lower right to get a sense of the diversity of apples I am lucky enough to eat.)

And dinner includes onions and garlic (and sometimes potatoes or sweet potatoes) from T&D Farms out near Joshua Tree, greens from South Central Farmers Cooperative or Flora Bella up near Three Rivers, brown rice from Koda Farms, peppers from Tutti Frutti.

I get such a thrill from appreciating not just the earth from which these foods sprang, but the farmers who commit their lives to doing the hard work of growing organic, sustainable, nutrient-filled produce that keeps me healthy and strong.

To all of you who grow my food, I say thank you every day of the year.

But especially today, Thanksgiving Day, when Larry and I will raise a glass in toast to you all.

2 comments:

  1. Great sentiment Joy. I will raise my glass too. Thank you for the blog and the "Sunday shopping" photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you, Garden Gnome, for reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete