Wednesday, January 25, 2012

White Beans and Escarole


Larry was out late the other night, so I was on my own for dinner.

I got home at 5 p.m. and decided I was in the mood for comfort food on this cold winter night.

First I poured 3/4 cup of large shiny white dried lima beans into a pot of boiling water. While they simmered, I rooted through the fridge for a good green to pair them with.

I decided upon the pale green escarole I had bought from Flora Bella farm at the Hollywood Farmers Market last week.

Escarole is a slightly bitter green. It's usually used in salads, but it was too cold for salad. I decided to try it cooked.

By about 6:30 the beans were tender, so I drained them, reserving a cup of the cooking liquid.

I sautéed some onion in olive oil until it was tender, and then added some minced garlic and red chiles. (This was comfort cooking, so I can't tell you exact amounts.) When they were fragrant I added the escarole which I had washed and chopped into one-inch pieces, stems and all.

I seasoned with salt and pepper, added the drained beans, and moistened it all with some bean liquid. I stirred it together, put the lid on, and let it cook until the escarole was softened but still had a little bite. I sprinkled on some balsamic vinegar, stirred again, and checked the seasoning.

I enjoyed a couple of bowls of this delicious stew, and had some leftover for lunch the next day.

The picture above is of the reheated leftovers. The escarole looked more vibrant when I ate it the first night, but I was not in the mood to take pictures. I just wanted to eat my nutritious and delicious dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment