Sunday, January 15, 2012

Dandelion Greens


In this cool winter weather, the Hollywood Farmers Market is overflowing with greens - chard, collards, arugula, many varieties of kale. It's hard to limit my selections to just a week's supply. So many greens, so few meals to eat.

Dandelion greens are my latest favorite.

They are nutrition powerhouses - rich in iron, B vitamins, and many minerals. They improve digestion, lower cholesterol, support the liver, and are exceptionally good for nursing mothers.

They are bitter, however, which I do not like. To neutralize the bitterness I add an acid. (This works with all bitter greens.) In Italian cooking, the acid is usually balsamic vinegar or lemon juice. When I cooked dandelion greens the other day I used lime juice.

We enjoyed the greens as a side dish with a leek and mushroom risotto, and then I took the leftovers to work the next day for a great mid-morning energy boost.

Dandelion Greens
1 bunch dandelion greens
salt and pepper
1 lime

Wash the dandelion greens well and discard the lower part of the leaf which is mainly stem. Chop the leaves coarsely - don't bother removing the center rib. Put them in a large pot with a half-inch of water in the bottom. Cover, bring to the boil, and cook until they are the consistency you like - I like them quite soft.

Serve with salt and pepper and lime wedges on the side so each person can season to their taste.

Serves 2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment