Sunday, October 30, 2011

A week of vegetables


Many vegetarians do not eat enough vegetables. I know that sounds weird, but it's easier to fill up on beans and rice than it is to buy and cook vegetables.

Yet study after study shows the correlation between good health and large vegetable intake.

So I try to serve vegetables as side dishes -- the traditional meal of meat and 2 veg except with a vegetarian entree in place of the meat.

I think variety is important, so I buy as wide a selection of vegetables each week as I can. Shopping at the Hollywood Farmers Market makes this easy.

This week I bought corn on the cob, celeriac, carrots, spaghetti squash, chard, mustard greens, sugar snap peas, potatoes, rutabagas and cauliflower. (This is in addition to the salad fixings.)

We had broccoli, beets, turnips, cabbage, celery and zucchini in the fridge, and a sweet potato in the pantry.

This week, I plan to post daily about our side-dish vegetables.

The rules are: onions and white potatoes don't count. Only one of the two vegetables can be starchy. And I'll aim for a pretty color combination.

Let's see how well I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment