Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Grated Beet Salad


I'm reading a lovely cookbook called Everyday Cooking with Organic Produce. It's put out by Melissa's, a distributor of specialty fruits and vegetables. You've probably seen their produce at Whole Foods and higher-end supermarkets.

This is the second cookbook Cathy Thomas has written for them, and it's a gem. Each of the more than 50 types of fruit and vegetables merits a section describing how to store and prepare it, a few quick serving suggestions, and a couple more complete recipes.

I made a quick beet salad for dinner Monday night which Larry said was possibly the best beets he'd ever had. So I had to share the recipe with you.

I served the salad with a Spanish tortilla (potato omelet) and some wilted greens. It was a colorful, healthy and delicious meal.

Grated Beet Salad
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp dijon
3 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
3 medium beets
1 tbsp minced fresh basil leaves

Whisk together the first 4 ingredients and salt and pepper.

Peel the beets and cut off the tops and bottoms. Slice them to fit the feed tube of your food processor. Use the shredding disk to grate them.

Add the grated beets to the dressing. Toss in the basil and stir to combine.

Serves 3-4

2 comments:

  1. Totally off topic...I just discovered spaghetti squash! Most interesting texture and taste. I don't see it tagged in your list of foods. Is there a recipe in this blog?

    Have they made it to the Hollywood Farmers market yet this year?

    I prepared it with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spaghetti squash, Larry says it's misnamed because it tastes nothing like spaghetti. I serve it with a rich mushroom tomato sauce, but have not blogged about it yet.

    ReplyDelete