Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Sweet Potato Hash


When Larry goes out of town, I take advantage of the opportunity to eat the foods he is not so keen on.

Like sweet potatoes.

He doesn't understand why I would eat sweet potatoes when I could eat white potatoes. Especially for breakfast.

But I have to say, there's nothing like this sweet potato hash with a fried egg on top to start a Sunday on the right note.

Sweet potatoes are nutritional powerhouses. They have large amounts of the antioxidants glutathione, beta carotene and vitamin C. They are anti-inflammatory and a good source of dietary fiber.

Plus they taste good.

I find sweet potatoes are sweet enough without the fruit, brown sugar and marshmallows so often paired with them on the Thanksgiving table. I like to eat them with mushrooms and onions to enhance their earthiness, as in this sweet potato hash that I bake in the toaster oven.

Sweet Potato Hash
5 oz cremini mushrooms, cut in half-inch pieces
5 oz sweet potato, peeled and chopped in half-inch pieces
2 tbsp chopped shallot or red onion
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Toss all the ingredients together. Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet, and cook 10 minutes. Stir well and cook another 8-10 minutes until tender and golden brown.

Serves 1-2 as a side dish, or as brunch with fried eggs on top.

1 comment:

  1. We have a mixed marriage too. I do not care for sweet potatoes, except in pie. The aha moment came when I realized that both type of potatoes take the same amount of time to cook. The Idaho russet and the Louisiana yam exist in perfect harmony in the oven.

    ReplyDelete