Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Bearing Vegetarian Dishes


When I am invited to a potluck, I take something filling that I will enjoy eating. I'm one of the few vegetarians I know in this low-carb town, and I find most gatherings serve animal protein and green salads. Although I enjoy salad, it is not a meal. Especially on these cold evenings.

So I take a filling vegetarian dish that I will enjoy. That way I eat well too.

To take pressure off the host, I take an entrée that needs no last-minute heating, because I don't know what demands there will be on the stove. I take my own serving plate and spoon, and carry everything in one bag that can be easily tucked out of the way.

This rice salad fits the bill, and it got great reviews at a potluck I went to in late October. The soy sauce and orange juice give it a rich flavor. To distract from the brown color (the downside of brown rice), I served it on a bed of romaine lettuce and garnished it with nasturtiums and violas from my garden.

You might consider this recipe as a side with your Thanksgiving dinner. You can make it a few hours ahead and let it sit at room temperature until it's time to eat.

Wild rice is a Native American food, so eating it is a way to honor the people who first cultivated this land.

Brown and Wild Rice Salad
Salad:
1/3 cup brown rice
1/3 cup wild rice
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/4 cup dried apricots, snipped small
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
3 tbsp chopped cilantro

Cook brown and wild rice together in 1-1/3 cups boiling water, lid covered, until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender - about 40 minutes.

Turn out into a bowl, toss with a fork, and stir in the remaining salad ingredients. Meanwhile, make the dressing:

Dressing:
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 tbsp dijon
2 tbsp soy sauce
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup orange juice (from 1 juicy orange)
2 tbsp rice vinegar
3 tbsp toasted sesame oil

Combine all but sesame oil. Whisk in oil and add salt and pepper to taste.

Pour half the dressing over the salad. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add dressing to achieve the consistency you like.

Serve the extra dressing on the side, or save it in the fridge to use on green salads.

Serves 4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment