Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Caponata


East Coast Trip Part 2

When we travelled back East in September, we spent most evenings with friends and family. We reminded them beforehand that I'm vegetarian, so everyone planned dinner accordingly.

I never feel bad about letting people know my dietary preferences ahead of time. It gives them a chance to pick up something suitable for me to eat, or cook extra vegetables or pasta to go with the meat. And it lets them be the good hosts they want to be.

I would feel terrible if I cooked a special meal only to find my guests couldn't eat it, so I ask ahead of time if there are food preferences or allergies. And I'm happy to cook or buy food according to whatever their parameters are.

I think the whole point of breaking bread with people is to be inclusive and sharing. And the friends and family we visited did a great job of it, sharing food that both Larry and I enjoyed.

Our first stop was in Arlington, VA, with our friends Ramsay and Bill. We arrived late in the afternoon, a little worn out by our 4 a.m. start, cross-country flight, and the D.C. beltway traffic.

Ramsay set out an Italian eggplant relish with some sliced baguette, and poured a glass of red wine. All the travel stress drifted away, and we settled in for a good visit.

She had made this relish (which I am calling caponata) in August and frozen it. I could not tell it had been frozen and thawed, so good did it taste. So I asked for the recipe, because I love having good food in my freezer.

When we got home I watched impatiently as our Black Beauty eggplant slowly ripened. Finally, on Sunday, we sat by the fire eating this delicious caponata on slices of fresh baguette. It was worth the wait, and it brought back memories of a great trip. Thanks Ramsay!

Caponata
1 eggplant (about 9 oz)
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 large red pepper, diced
1 small clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp capers, drained
1/4 cup oil-cured black olives, pitted and sliced

Peel eggplant and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Warm oil over medium heat. Add eggplant, cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Take the lid off and keep cooking until eggplant is browned, about 10 minutes more. Stir occasionally but don't worry if the eggplant sticks to the pan. It will unstick later and add good flavor.

Stir in celery, onion, peppers and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.

Combine tomato paste, water, vinegar, capers and olives and add to the pan. Cook, stirring more frequently, until the sauce is thick and the eggplant is soft, about 10 minutes.

Serve cold or at room temperature. Leftovers will last a week in the fridge, and freeze well for at least a month, probably longer.

2 comments:

  1. We just took a batch out of the freezer last night. Coincidence?

    I’m am going to try your Barley Risotto and hope to have the recipe down in time for American Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately none of our caponata made it to the freezer. I found it was delicious on toast as a quick snack. Good to the last scoop.

    ReplyDelete